Monday, September 17, 2007

Concept of Time

I was already pretty laid back about time, or so I thought, when I moved to Latin America... but now that I have lived here for four years I realize that I am just not driven by the clock. I mean, I HAVE to be on time here at school for things, and I usually am, but for the most part I am not driven by a schedule any more.

One thing that I LOVE about this culture is that it is relationship based. If you want to go to someone's house and hang out for a couple of hours, you can. Even if they have something to do they will drop it or they will ask you to go along. You don't pencil people in to your agendas (daytimers in the old days, palms now, right?).

We have some new Americans living here and going to language school and I realize that they are having a hard time adjusting to not knowing the plan and not really having a concrete plan all the time. I am seeing myself four years ago and realizing the things that have changed as a result of living out of my homeland.

2 comments:

Hbomb said...

So I'm sure I couldn't do what you do where you do it. I am such a planner and I so love knowing ahead of time what to expect. I don't think I could handle that.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of what I went through stepping from a career into full time motherhood. You know being a teacher is all about schedules, so it was hard when the baby just didn't fit the plan.