Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thank you, can I have another?

I think that the other two posts have been a bit convicting, but it is usually that way when we look at ourselves through the eyes of others, isn't it?

I'm still processing the trip and the comments I am hearing from our Mexican brothers and sisters about their trip to the U.S. Another thing they felt is that the American church is lacking in a pursuit of holiness. Granted, that's a big generalization, but they felt that maybe because of the comfort we have with our money and stuff we lack that push for holiness.

It's strange because we visited so many churches, and we met so many wonderful people, that they would come away with a sadness for the state of the American church. I wish I could get them to give me examples, but they tell me it was more of a feeling you got while you were there. The Americans are so comfortable and like their comfort zones. I can definitely say that being around the Latino church for the past five years has taught me more about holiness. Unfortunately, this often takes on a religious and Pharisaical spirit to it, but there is something to it. I can't say that listening to "non-Christian" music is a sin like they would, or drinking a glass of wine, or even watching a rated R movie - but there is that whole aspect of Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

May we do this because God wants the very best for us, not out of obligation (though obligation and obedience is not a bad thing either when talking about our God!).

No comments: