Saturday, March 21, 2009

I was disappointed...

Last month, I auditioned for a part in a Passion Play in the city. My friend and I heard this church needed soloists, and since we love to sing we went and auditioned. They accepted us right away and told us we were an answer to their prayers. I got really excited and practiced quite a bit for the song we were going to be performing.
As so often happens in Mexico, though, the communication has been less than ideal with the people running the show. We missed one rehearsal because of prior commitments, and another one because we weren't told until the last minute, and the place is over an hour away.
Tonight I received an email from her saying, "Thanks, but no thanks" There are still three weeks until the performance, and we were all set to make rehearsals without missing at all, but they don't want us. I feel really bummed, and frustrated with the culture that would send me an email like that instead of calling me and telling me her needs and finding out where I stand.
So, pray for me. I want/need to have a good attitude and not let this discourage me from trying again in the future. It's difficult when you have talents and you want to use them for the Lord and then humans mess it all up (including our own stinky attitudes at times!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan, I wish it was 'only a cultural thing' but too often happens everywhere. They will miss out on a beautiful voice and you will gain an opportunity for more growing in God's grace. Doesn't make it easy though. I hate being diappointed.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Jan, I'm so sorry. It would be easy for me to say "but so-and-so missed more practices...." and argue against the unfairness of it all, and rise to your defense. I could even argue about which culture is "right". But that would not encourage either of us, and would send us down a path neither of us would benefit from.

I can, instead, remind you of some things you already know:
"I will be your defender"
"I know the plans I have for you..."
"What was meant for evil, God meant for good..."

Not meaning to sound "too spiritual", let me say I understand your disappointment and your frustration. I'd encourage you to not allow those valid feelings to cause you to draw back and quit trying to be a blessing to others. You daily bless people by your smile, your transparency, and your helpful ways. You seek to bless others within their culture in ways that are culturally significant to them, even when it may be uncomfortable to you. You are faithful to fulfill responsibilities when they're given to you, and you do things with excellence and humility.

God will give you the desires of your heart because you seek Him first. Be encouraged, my friend.

Linda